Losing weight, the dream of many people is not as easy as they think, especially with the elderly, it can become increasingly hard. With them, keeping weight in control plays an important role in preventing some serious health-related problems like diabetes or heart attack and enjoying a better life with their family. There is good news that when you are older, you may take some simple tips following of diet, without regular exercises to keep fit and healthy.
- Eat healthy, regular meals
Foods containing moderate fat and complex carbohydrates and high-in-nutrients are some suggestions for your health.
- About 1200-1500 nutrient-rich calories per day
- Five food groups to get proper nutrition are: fruits, grains, vegetables, proteins and dairy
- You body needs 1 to 5 cups of fruit a day (raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries)
- 5 to 3 cups of vegetables a day: carrots, broccoli or peppers
- Fiber from fruits and vegetables to keep you regular, ward off strokes, heart disease or diabetes, improve your skin and lose weight
- 5 to 8 ounces of grains a day from whole wheat pasta, brown rice, bread, oatmeal, or cereal
- 5 to 5 ounces of protein each day from lean meats including beef, pork, poultry, cooked beans or eggs
- Avoid excessive sodium.
- Avoid unhealthy food
Avoiding unhealthy and junk food with fat and calories is highly recommended. Some typical examples are chips, pizza, nachos, burgers, cake or ice cream. Let’s say “no” with starchy and refined carbs like pasta, bread, crackers, rice, cereal, and baked good. You should look out for hidden sugar in your foods by reading packaging to keep in control.
- Make changes to your diet
Changing your overall diet gradually will help you stick to eating healthy.
- You will replace processed food. For instance, if you eat white rice with meal, let’s switch to brown rice and then add more vegetables and cut down on
- Allow yourself to cheat sometimes in order to stay on track
- Plan meals regularly
Many people believe that planning your meal in advance will not only help you avoid regressing towards unhealthy habit, but also ensure that you consume plenty of nutrients and even save your money.
- Allow some cheat days
No one is perfect and occasionally you are attracted and crave unhealthy food without notice. So, why don’t you allow yourself some cheat days to enjoy your favorite foods like junk foods or foods you are not normally permitted to eat on your plan.
- There is some increasing evidence which indicate that allowing yourself to cheat occasionally will even help you to maintain your diet in the long run as you are not denying yourself anything.
- A surprise is that you will even find you do not enjoy any unclean foods any more when you get used to eating a clean and healthy
- Never let cheat days derail your overall healthy habits, thus setbacks are normal.
These above are easy and simple tips that you may take up to have a healthier diet as well as lose weight more effectively without doing any exercises when you are older.